Općina Dobrinj, otok Krk, Hrvatska
 

Meet the municipality Dobrinj - History

 

Related Content

 
 
 
The written history of Dobrinjstina started "in 1100, the year of our Lord Jesus Christ, in Dobrine church of St. Vitus" (cro. let od Hristova rojstva 1100 pred Dobrinem poli crikve svetoga Vida). As stated by Kirin Radonjin, the pisar od komuna Dobrina (eng. scribe of Dobrinj commune), on that day and in that year, a small church of St. Vitus was consecrated as a prebend of Dragoslav the Great. To this day, the historians failed to reveal who this Dragoslav was and why he was called "the Great". Nevertheless, they all agree that he was possibly a prosperous man of noble blood, and some even link him with the Krk princely line of Frankopans. The document which, according to the dictation of the mentioned Dragoslav in Old Croatian language and Glagolitic alphabet, was written down by the municipal scribe Kirin, was the first written document on the history of Dobrinjstina. Since the Listina slavnog Dragoslava (eng. Charter of Dragoslav the Great) mentions the komun (eng. commune, municipality), pisar od komuna (eng. scribe of the commune), crikva sv. Stipana (church of St. Stephen), plovan (parish priest), etc., it is obvious that Dobrinj was already organized as an administrative and ecclesiastic center. Although the Charter of Dragoslav the Great was not preserved in the original but in transcript, this does not challenge its value, because it is one of the oldest and most significant documents from the Croatian Glagolitic inheritance.
     
 
 
* Details: National costume
 
 
* Details: St Peter's square in Dobrinj
     
Although the Listina Charter is the only written official proof of the existence of Dobrinj, the trails of life in Dobrinjstina date all the way back to the pre-Illyrian times, for which there are evidence in archeological discoveries on numerous localities, and toponyms, i.e. the names of the inhabited and uninhabited places in Dobrinjstina. Although its official name is Dobrinj, among the local population the name Grad, meaning simply "the Town", became widely adopted; therefore in Dobrinj you will not hear that you are in Dobrinj, but that you are Gradi, meaning that you are "in Town".

Dobrinj was one of the Frankopan castles, and therefore it had specific appearance; each castle had its defensive walls, and in Dobrinj this function was performed by houses, which were built close to one another. This appearance was largely preserved in the so called Dolinji Grad (eng. Lower Town), i.e. in the older part of Dobrinj.

The church of St. Stephen, which was mentioned as early as in Dragoslav's Charter, is one of the oldest religious-cultural monuments of Dobrinjstina. Besides this church, Dobrinj has another one, which is devoted to the Holy Trinity, but since it holds the sculpture of St. Anthony of Padova, the locals also call it crikva svetoga Antona (eng. the church of St. Anthony). This church holds an interesting altar painting illustrating hell, purgatory and heaven. During the last few years the church was turned into an exhibition gallery hall, especially during the summer months.
     
 
 
* Details: Square in Dobrinj (Dobrnjska placa)
 
 
* Details: dancing at the Dobrinj placa
     
In the past, Dobrinj used to have many churches, among them the church of St. Ambrose, which most probably stood between the church-gallery and today's vicarage. Near the church there was also a cemetery, which was actually located on the place of the present-day park, or, as natives call it, the jardin.

An interesting destiny befell the Dobrinj belfry. Built in 16th century, it was struck and wrecked by thunders several times. Once it was almost completely leveled by a fascist detonation, only to be struck by a powerful thunderbolt in the 1980s. All this is attributed to the ancient legend according to which the belfry was prophesied during its construction to the ill-fated destiny...

Apart from the church of St. Stephen and recently the far-famed church-gallery of St. Anthony, one of the most significant sacral structures of Dobrinjstina is a small church of St. Vitus located in Sveti Vid, the village called after St. Vitus, one kilometer distant from Dobrinj. It was built by Dragoslav the Great, so that the Dragoslav's Charter, the so called Listina, made this early-Romanic small church known in wider Slavic-Glagolitic circles.

Although it is one of the smallest in Dobrinjstina, the church of St. Clement in Klimno, which dates from 1480, contains a valuable artistic detail - gold-plated altarpiece depicting the scenes from the saints lives, which belongs to the protected cultural monuments. It should be pointed out here that the church of St. Clement in Klimno is the only church in the entire Krk bishopric devoted to this bishop-saint.
 
 
 
 
Webcams Municipality Dobrinj
Live view at Dobrinj, Silo and Klimno
 
 
History
More about our history
Economy
Economy in the area of Dobrinj municipality
Tourism
Main tourist destinations in the municipality
Settlements
Find out more about Šilo, Klimno, Čižići
School and kindergarten
School in Dobrinj & kindergarden in Polje
Associations
Cultural, sports and carnival associations
Manifestations
Church festivities, folk and fishing celebrations
Prominent personalities
Ivan Crnčić, Josip Pepi Uravić
Museums
Sacral and ethnographic museum collection
Videos
Video clips of Dobrinj, Šilo & the Soline bay
Photo gallery
Photos wallpapers, screensavers
 
 
 
Bookmark and Share
 
         
         
KONTAKTI
 
 
OPĆI PODACI O OPĆINI
   

Općina Dobrinj
Dobrinj 103, 51514 Dobrinj

e-mail: opcina-dobrinj@ri.t-com.hr
tel.: +385 051/848-344;848-307
fax.: +385 051/848-141
web: www.opcina-dobrinj.hr, www.dobrinj.hr

 
 
Katastarska površina: 55,05 km2
Broj stalnih stanovnika: 2.023
Broj kućanstava: 891

Stambene jedinice: 4.422
Stanovi za stalno stanovanje: 1564
Naselja: Općinu Dobrinj čine 20 naselja

 
 
TD Komun d.o.o.
www.komun.hr
 
TZO Dobrinj
www.tzo-dobrinj.hr